Monday, June 1, 2015

Transitions...to be or not to be.

Transition
The very start for some of us that desire to wear natural hairstyles, and, for those that are truly considering the health of their hair and total well-being, is the transition phase of it all. 
 I am sure that I am not speaking for just myself when I say that the decision to wear my hair natural was that of health for my strands and to preserve my hair and scalp .  My hair was not the same as it was in high school or even as it was during my younger twenties. I realized that I could no longer treat my hair with color, relaxer, blow dryers and curling irons, all at once- i
my hair was getting weaker and thinner.  This regimen of constant abuse had taken  its toll on my hair and follicles over the years and a change was what I needed.  
 So I did the Big-Chop, the road less traveled.  I don't mind short hair, short and nappy hair, short and nappy with a little gray. I loved it. And so did a lot of admirers, for it was the beginning of my natural hair care business.  I embraced myself as I am, and was ready to face the world.  It was/is cute, easy, quick to style, shampoo, condition-I feel free and am happy to help those that want it. 
This was my preference and I've come to terms with the fact that the Big-Chop is not an option for others.  Some of my clients would rather take the long route of Transitioning.  This is their compass toward the "natural hair" destination. One customer in a consultation interview asked, "how long does the transition take?"  The transition from relaxed hair to natural hair can take the 45 minutes for the hair cut, or up to several years, depending on your decision of when to trim/cut off the relaxer. It doesn't disappear, the relaxer must be cut.  In doing so you can experience the beautifully versatile looks of natural hair styles, and the rapid growth if taken care of properly. TLC and patience with the process is what it will take.
 In the salon I have a few style options for the clients that choose the Transition Phase as opposed to a Big-chop/hair cut:  Roller Set, Rod Sets, Cornrows, Flat-twists, Extensions of sorts... and Style- Cuts/shaping. Maintenance is a breeze with these options, all you need is a good oil moisturizer and a night wrap.  If you are looking to preserve the health of your hair, I always suggest to limit heat treatments.  That is flat Irons, hot combs, blow drying and curling irons.  But if you want to wear straight styles, minus the relaxer, these are options for you.  But in doing so you lessen your choices for the kinky, nappy, and natural-hair styles. The heat styling will compromise/weaken your natural curls/hair texture, then the transition phase will have to begin again to rid the heat damaged hair.   For service description and prices go to:  www.hair2hopefour.com






No comments:

Post a Comment

Transitions...to be or not to be.

  Transition The very start for some of us that desire to wear natural hairstyles, and, for those that are truly considering the healt...